I propose 11 questions to ask during your next interview that will lay the groundwork to help you discover the secrets in your interviewer that made him/her successful. This information will save you time by allowing you to know the right tricks and avoid all the mistakes and pitfalls that the person you are interviewing has experienced.
Conducting your interview to discover the secrets of the trade
It is very easy to fall into the trap of competition, ranking and individualism. We’ve been trained for this since school. It is a behaviour that you can find when you want to do business with attempts at sabotage, jealousy, resentment and denigration of your competitors.
If you think there is a winner and losers then you will unfortunately perpetuate a vicious circle and cut yourself off from potential partners.
However, if you can’t find a company in your industry that is more than 5 years old and profitable then you can question your concept. Is it really a good idea to go for it ?
Click on the link to carry out a quick market study “Market study in 7 questions”
Learning the basics of your future job can save you a lot of mistakes. With your enthusiasm and a certain naivety, it is easy and pleasant to tell yourself that you are going to revolutionize everything.
You will simply get in touch with successful professionals. For the vast majority, they will be delighted to tell you their story, to share with you their behind-the-scenes experience and the secret of their success. All the more so since they will take advantage of this opportunity to encourage those who wish to get started.
You’re going to interview your guest according to a few principles :
- Come to the interview with an open and curious mind. So don’t hesitate to ask “silly questions” without wanting to impress your guest. Your goal is to simply find and understand the answers to your questions.
- You can take notes on the advice provided which are important. With his permission, you can offer to record his conversation and publish it.
So, you will carry out a business study to obtain key information that will save you a lot of time and avoid a lot of mistakes. Thanks to this method, you will know the know-how of your competitors that they themselves could take years to accumulate.
You can interview 3 successful professionals and cross-reference their answers. You will discover the rules of the game to turn them to your advantage. This can make all the difference in the success of your business.
Make a list of companies that are not direct competitors and that have been remarkably successful in the sector in which you wish to enter.
In the case of companies that operate on the Internet, you can solicit them in geographical areas different from your own. Here are 2 groups that you can target :
- Companies that have a different service or product but meet the same need for the same clientele.
- Businesses with a similar product or service but which address a different clientele but have the same structure as you.
Click on the link to know how to distinguish between structure and organization “Management, the flaws in managerial thinking“
To make contact and appointments, use the telephone rather than e-mail. It’s more efficient! If there are many people in the company, ask the most relevant person to talk to you about it. You can say that you are studying the sector. Ask if you can get a 45-minute face-to-face interview.
11 questions to ask during your interview
Here are some questions you can ask during your interview for your business study :
- When you chose this job, what was your objective ?
- In your opinion, what is the most frequent and major obstacle encountered in this sector ?
- What made all the difference and allowed you to break through in your early days ?
- What has allowed your company to pass the test of the years ?
- What mistakes would you avoid if you had to start all over again ?
- What’s the best way to prepare yourself before embarking on the adventure ?
- What trick, strategy or technique are you most proud of ?
- With all this accumulated experience, can you share with us one of your tactics/strategies that brought you the best return on investment, i.e. the best result with a minimum of effort or in a minimum of time ?
- You must have seen a lot of people draw the curtain in your sector. In your opinion, what are the main reasons for failure in your sector ?
- Where is the risk of wasting time? What are the activities that you should know how to limit because even though they may seem useful, they take up a lot of time ?
- Do you have a book, training or resource that you would recommend to someone who wants to get into this sector ?
Now that you know how to conduct your interview, you know what you have to do 😉
To go further…
Sébastien Night In : Profession : entrepreneur libre [Online] Paper book format available in French on : < https://amzn.to/38w0HcA >